Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mama Said They'd Be Days Like This...

Oh good gravy! Ever have one of "those days" that you'd like to just completely forget?!? I tell ya, the last 24 hours have been an absolute doozy!! Nothing that is catastrophic, but when you stir all my-

(this guy came to mind, huh?) 
-of these last few hours, WOWZERS.  It will all be so some point in my future. (hopefully before this day is over!) If you don't want to hear of my oh, so glorious day, then stop reading now. If you want to feel so sorry for me, or just to have a good laugh, please by all means, continue on. :)

It all started with Ryan and I having the privilege of getting our taxes done. (insert some major sarcasm) This is the time I despise ALL year. Getting all those receipts together just isn't my idea of a good time. Needless to say, the end result wasn't wonderful, but the "only" good side was that we do have what we needed to pay those nasty taxes. While we were there, I got a call from Emileigh's school that she had vomited and wasn't feeling well. There I was 1 1/2 hours away from the kids, and I've got a puker. Thank goodness for our Dora- aka Mimi. She came to the rescue for me. <3 that woman! That morning Ryan and I had planned on eating somewhere for lunch and making it a "date" while we were out of town- only problem, our 2 1/2 hour appointment turned into a 4 1/2 hour appointment. So we grabbed a drink and crackers from the gas station on our way home. I know, I know- so romantic! Looking back on it now, taxes don't really put you in the romantic mood anyway! 

We arrived home to pick up Emileigh; in the meantime, I had to let the girls know to ride the bus home since we didn't think we'd make it in time to pick them up from school. We knew we would be home a little before they got off the bus. This isn't anything new, I'm usually that crazy mom that has to see how my day is going and let them know if they are bus or car riders around 1:30. I know they'd rather be a car rider, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen. Anyway, we got Emileigh home, and I got her settled. Shortly after, Abby comes in "I'm hoommee!!!" Wonderful! Wait..."Hey Abby! Where's Lauren??" "I don't know, I didn't see her on the bus." Oh gracious! By this time it is 3:20. I try the school office- no answer. Now- I need to interject here, this isn't the first time that Lauren was to be a car or bus rider and I forgot and did the opposite. But usually when I have forgotten Lauren, or even one of my other children, (hey don't judge!) the secretary has usually called me saying "I've got Lauren in my office." I had not received a call from her, so I tried her cell, no answer. So then I try a friend from church who works at Lauren's school and she usually is working car line- no answer. Then I have enough sense that I called her teacher. She had accidentally sent her to car riders. whew! (Imagine that... a kindergarten teacher- getting slammed at the end of the day, and forgetting something! I'm sure that rarely ever happens!) She was quite worried with sending her the wrong place, but I was feeling much better that I had heard that she did send her to car riders. That meant that Lauren wasn't asleep on a bus somewhere! Our school has a great extended day program- of which my children always ask why they can't go to it. Silly kids, I don't need childcare in the afternoon, therefore I'm not going to pay for it! I arrived at the school, and sure enough, when I walked in, the director assured me they had her. Lauren was quite enjoying herself, and on the way home inquired again, why she couldn't stay more often? What was so sweet and funny in this was that when I explained to her I wasn't going to pay the school to keep her when her dad or I could, she said, "Well you send the school money all the time, just send extra!" She is so funny!

After having been on the road ALL day, I got Abby to get her piano practice in while I went to get Chesley from practice. I told her to set the timer, and I was on my way. When I got back home, I thought I'd sit on the couch for a minute and take a breather, then I checked the clock- nope, time to start dinner. (it's at this point almost everyday I think to myself- "why didn't I put something in the crockpot?") Please tell me I'm not the only one. I got in the kitchen and realized that the microwave wasn't working. I checked the breaker, that wasn't it. Nothing on it was working. After some investigating, the "timer" Abby had set was the COOK TIME on the microwave. So it cooked with nothing in it for almost 20 minutes, when it burnt itself up. So now, I have to get a new microwave. UGH!!! On the up side- dinner was a hit!

After dinner was baths, which went better than normal- surprisingly. (I say that because I didn't even have to tell them to do it. Maybe it was Ryan who told them, or maybe they sensed they probably shouldn't cross mom in the mood she's in!) By the time all were going to bed, it was 8:30. Lauren- who always wants to sleep with Ryan and I, came into the room complaining of her belly hurting (all with a smile) so I chocked it up to her trying to sleep with us. I sent her to go sleep with Chesley. I was asleep probably by 9:30. At 11:00 I was woke up by the dreaded sound of vomit hitting (thankfully) the hard wood in the dining room. But (also thankfully) not in Chesley's bed, or carpet- or my carpet in my room! Lauren was sick! So pitifully sick. I felt so bad for her. We got her cleaned up, and the "puke bowl" lined and ready. I "slept" with it in my hand, and every time she moved or made a noise, I awoke and had it under her ready. That consisted of 12, 1, 2, 3 and 4 am. (and a few times in between being a false alarm) 

I prayed over my child, praying healing, and relief. The Word tells us in Isaiah 53:5 "...And by His stripes we are healed." And in Mark 16:18 ..."they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." I knew my baby would be ok, but it so hard to see her so sick. Ryan and I both laid hands on her and prayed for her. Anytime she would start to move or moan- I spoke that over her. At 4 am, I was exhausted, and I knew I had one hour to sleep before I had to get ready for work. Then the alarm went off at 5 am, and I promise- I had JUST looked at the clock and it said 4!! I hit snooze twice, and finally drug myself out of bed at 5:20. Got pretty much completely ready, (seriously only had to put on my shoes) and I contacted my charge nurse to let her know what was going on, and she was precious enough to let me stay at home! Can I get an AMEN! 

That was a great ending to a pretty rough 24 hours. PTL! I have been able to hold and cuddle my sick little one, and thankfully, we've only had 2 more episodes of sickness. Hoping we are at the end. Just praying now, that her sore belly will subside. As bad as the last 24 hours may have been...the devil WILL NOT win today! Thankful for God supplying all our needs "...according to His riches in glory By Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19.

I said all of that to say, that no matter who you are in life, or in Christ, or whatever, there is always something to be seen by the paths that are brought before us. God knew I wasn't going to have the best 24 hours...but all it does is make me rely on Him more. If everyday was lollipops and gumdrops, our flesh may not be reminded as much that He is all we need, and He is who we should turn to, and He is the Great I Am! I'm thankful for those times that I can truly say..."take it Lord. It's in Your Hands. No matter how trivial, I give you all of my worries. "Cast your cares on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken. Psalm 55:22 NIV. "Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 NKJV

Remember, He is all we need! Do you have a day that comes to mind where NOTHING went right? 

Enjoy the Journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment